Friday 27 June 2014

End of the midnight posts....

It's crazy times in the world of Hockey and Dad'ding. Gino Odjick told us all he had terminal heart disease, some soccer player in Brazil bit someone and it's OH MY FUCKING GOD HOW COULD HE?. But really, it's soccer. The amount of dives I've seen in my limited amount of interest through TSN highlights has been Canucks playoff-worthy. And who tattles about being bit on the shoulder? Who bites anyone on the shoulder? Even Burrows had the state of mind to bite fingers. Then there's the NHL Draft and all the drama that revolves around picking kids that we promptly forget about until a few of them show up in 5 years, unless you are a goalie cuz you have a bit longer wait ahead of you, kid.

My agent said he'd be right back.


But I digress. I'm closing off my night run of blog posts. I've been fortunate to have a job for the last 2 years that was low maintenance with a lot of down time. It gave me the opportunity to practice writing; first it was the lists (which I have grown to loathe). Then it became a little more and a little more. Then I decided to finish some other stuff, including completing some post-secondary courses so i can go into something that hopefully pays better and allows me to see a bit more sun than the previous 2 years. Watching the sun rise is cool in its way on occasion, a bit surprising when you've been drinking (however that was nearly 20 years ago). Now it's 4 in the morning and the birds are chirping and I have work to do, diapers to change (oh yah, I work at a group home for handicapped men, i'm a jani-murse... or a murse-itor.

So, here is to my first post, posted nearly 2 years less a week. Back when I was reading a blog called downgoesbrown that was hilarious and done in just good humour and love and then he wrote a book and I thought hey, i'd like to do that with the team that continually breaks my heart too... But I found it too difficult to concentrate on hockey 24/7 when life kept delivering me kids and grown-up questions like 'who's going to pay for all this food' and 'when are you seriously going to get some sleep?'. But from that first post to this one, the person I was always writing for is that future me, who will one day find this and wonder just what the hell I was doing with my life. Or a time when Rick Nash was considered a big deal.

Well, now I shall go. But I won't stop completely. It gets kind of addicting. Plus I have 61 drafts of posts in various stages of completion. They may be dated but just like Cody Hodgson, they deserve some appreciation one day.

And finally, here's to Gino.  Good luck, buddy!


No comments:

Post a Comment