Wednesday 6 March 2013

Artists Against Bowling...

So, back to that previous article where i discussed that i was wanting to write about something but had forgotten it....  it finally came to me tonight while lying down for my nap before bedtime.  Only 22 hours after it had originally crossed my mind but finally my brain went 'ahhhh...' and went on holiday, seeing as how it has only had 4 hours sleep in the last 4o.

So, what was missing from my last night recollections. While listening to the radio on the way to work i heard a cover of Cyndi Lauper's True Colours. My first reaction was 'man, that's bad' and then my second was 'i miss Cyndi Lauper. She has a great unique voice and such awesome 80's hair.'  This cover was a duet, with a woman who sounded suspiciously like Sarah McLaughlin and a guy who sounded like nobody I could place. I have no idea who he could have been and still don't.

So the song ends and the announcer describe the song as coming from 'Artists Against Bowling' and at first I thought I must have heard that wrong.  What would Artists have against bowling?  Then, having just taken my 3 year old daughter bowling, i realized it made perfect sense.

I don't even really want to google this to find out if it's not true.  If there is anyplace that music can not be heard as general ambiance, it's in a bowling alley so no wonder musical artists would hate bowling lanes. The loud rumbling of the bowling balls down the lane, the TOCK! of balls rolling back and hitting other balls, the CRASH of balls hitting lanes; it's bedlam on the eardrums. How am i supposed to hear the latest hit single from Pro Tools in all that noise? My daughter, bless her heart, also couldn't take all that aural stimuli and requested to go have a break in the back room three times, where it was so much quieter.

this isn't a picture, this is video...
She would then return and in one momentous roll, captured forever on video, proceeded to Fred Flintstone the slowest bowl ever. I was wanting to place bets if the ball would actually completely stop before getting to the end. I could have gone out for a coffee and came back and the ball still wouldn't have made it to the end. When i finally took out my phone camera and started filming it it took another 30 seconds for it to FINALLLLLLY crawl to the end.  To give you an idea how slow it was going, it actually tapped a pin but failed to knock it over, and bowling pins are notoriously easy to make topple, like a African government with anti-American leanings.

But I digress.. Artists Against Bowling.  Watch for it, support it.  Unless you are a bowler.


addendum...curse you google. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to fact-check, hoping against hope that there were a lot of pissed off anti-bowling musical artists out there. There's not.

Here's the video;


Bullying.  NOT Bowling.  Man, do i feel stupid...sorta, but not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment