Sunday 26 October 2014

On Cross-Promoting and Self-Publication

So, I wrote a book. Many times. Over and over and over. I finally stopped and said 'I'm so tired of re-writing this.' It was called many things but I finally settled on this title;




Then I self-published on Amazon's CreateSpace (for traditionalists that still own bookcases and like hard copy books) and Smashwords (which allows for multiple format downloads instead of just Kindle).

That was about 4 months ago and it's slowly starting to get some good feedback.

Now for those that have never done research into self-publishing the general mantra is 'it is what you make it'. Not only are you self-publishing but you are also self-editing and self-promoting with a little help from your friends and family, of course.

So here Ogie is to lose his anonymity... I wrote Enter a Fistful of Marijuana and my name is now self-evident.

It's a social commentary comedy (the book, not my name). You might like it, you might not (again, the book). The Amazon version comes with footnotes - I wasn't able or patient enough to try and format the Smashwords version to accommodate them so for the added bang, you should go Amazon. However, right now I am offering the first 100 downloads by donation on Smashwords.

Here's some great reviews I have received without paying anyone to say them.

"This is hilarious. Smart, satirical and an easy, breezy read."

"It's a post modern trip through the war on drugs and all of the politics surrounding it. The author manages to show a great sense of humor, while examining some of the larger issues confronting our materialist society. The book manages to be social commentary without being boring social commentary-- something that more literary work should aspire to."

"There's a lot going for this book: loony characters, more marijuana than you knew existed, a Canadian wilderness setting and the self deprecating humor of my friends to the north, and some fun musings about what it would take to make a better world.

Jack Steele is ostensibly the lead in this farcical situation, a xenophobic and somewhat murderous secret agent whose assignment with the IRS involves a lot of snappy banter and people getting punched in the nuts. But there's a lot of others that you come to like: an IRS bureaucrat seeking to distinguish himself in the most hilarious way possible, a trio of stoners who get themselves in way over their heads, a Mormon who uses his high for inspiration, and an unlikely femme fatale. The POV's move around enough that you never beg for another character, though for me, Jack was the most fun to read.

There's some fun touches in here that will make you laugh out loud, and it moves at a pretty fast pace. This was the first time I saw footnotes used to develop asides for the story, and I clicked on every one of them. There are some pop culture references, but plenty of original humor. It has some of the rough edges that you get when reading self published fiction, but nothing that broke the book.

Overall, a great read for anyone seeking something fun, sometimes deranged, and lighthearted!"

So, go to here or here and give it a spin. Post reviews there or there or even here, where I will attempt to keep things more literary-minded. 

I can take it. 

We now return to my regular programming.




No comments:

Post a Comment