Monday 1 October 2018

The Hilarity of Depression



Sometimes, I want to laugh at how depressed I get because I'm pretty good at hiding it. I think most people with depression know how to hide it; they remove themselves emotionally and physically from everyone.

I know that the more productive one is, the less depressed they tend to be; like the act of keeping the mind busy will keep those nagging thoughts at bay.

So here is my morning.

I wake up and get the kids to school. No problem so far, my mind is busy with the kids, we walk, we talk, we say goodbye.

Now I'm in trouble.

But wait, a friend's wife is running for council in our local election. She's off to put up some signs with her 2 other children not yet in school. I'll totally help, for I was busy trying not to think of what
I'm going to do today to avoid being with myself.

That takes about 30 minutes and then I'm back at the house. I have so much I could do so I'm going to take a long shower first to figure out my plan.

Such a long shower.

Here's a list of things I think about that I can/want/should do;

  • research some lit agents (3)
  • research similar publishing houses
  • update my social media
  • read and review some homework
  • watch a movie that my wife probably wouldn't want to watch
  • take out the compost
  • buy tickets to a bucket list item. 
  • go to firehall and work out
  • apply to EI (hours recently cut back)
  • update resume
  • take the dogs for a walk. 
  • Do some editing of Karmageddon
  • Do some writing of anything
  • clean up spare room for son #1
  • dismantle legos and put on kijiji
  • clean up carport
  • unlock some more characters in Lego Batman 2. 


I go through all this and then decide I will do the last one first. But only until 10am.

I figuratively give my head a shake. I realize that's the least important. What's most important to me? Probably the computer stuff. But then I need to go downstairs, unpack the laptop, log in.
Just the thought of that is overwhelming in this mindset. Let's get dressed first. Make some coffee.

So I broke it down into little goals. And while it might seem to go down 2 flights of stairs may only be a problem if I was morbidly obese (I'm not), it is.

But first I make a coffee. I find the laptop. I go downstairs, clear off my desk. I power it up.

And now I'm here and it's 10am.

Deep breath...





No comments:

Post a Comment